As we get ready for the 2013 Louisiana SHRM State Conference on HR (#lashrm13), we thought it might be fun to share a recap post from the 2012 conference. Bill Boorman led a concurrent session last year in New Orleans and we are thrilled to have him return for the 2013 event where he will be our closing keynote speaker on Tuesday, April 9th talking about “The ‘Cult’ of Work.” You’ll also be able to catch him running a concurrent session on Monday April 8th with Robin Schooling entitled “HR’s Turning Point: Are You Staying in Place or Moving Forward?”
Light Bulb Moments from New Orleans #LASHRM
It’s been a few weeks now since I got back from #LASHRM in New Orleans. I have something I always do a few weeks after an event. I take some blank sheets of paper and I write down a few statements and words under 3 headings:
> What do I remember? What were the light bulb moments?
> Who do I remember?
> Out of 10, would I go back again?
Just for a change I thought it would share the first and last sections publicly, and for the record, in terms of who I remember, it was one of the longest lists from any event. This was a memorable event with a memorable crowd.
My light bulb moments:
> If you only connect with people like you, you will learn nothing and gain nothing.
> Diversity is as much about personality as colour, race etc
> Your network is your posse who are in your corner.
> If we all think the same some of us are irrelevant
> It’s not what you know it’s who you know, and that’s a good thing, despite negative connotations. Network intentionally.
> When you reward people for what you want them to do before you ask them to do it, they are much more likely to do what you want compared with rewarding them only if they do it.
> New Orleans is both one of the 5 most friendly cities in the world, and also the 5 most dangerous at the same time.
> Gumbo with everything is perfectly acceptable.
> It’s better to be the party than go to the party.
> People who earn $14.5 Mn a year essentially want the same things from work and colleagues as people on minimum wage. People are people whatever the status.
> Creating opportunities for accidental engagement is the best way to get people to ask what they really want to know. talking in places like car parks and water coolers beats meetings in offices because of informality. Executives need to create plenty of opportunities for this to happen.
> 5% of the people influence the behavior of the other 95%. The key is knowing who the 5% are, what motivates them and reaching them.
> Its more effective to manage the work rather than the hours.
> It’s easier to take the work to where the skills are than take try to bring the skills to the work.
> People have better technology in their houses than they have in their offices.
> Don’t be afraid to fly the freak flag.
> Best practice is not innovation.
> State conferences beat champagne headline events for content and community.
> Police horses fit in bars.
> You can tap dance by fitting tin can lids on the bottom of your shoes.
>If you are communicating the need for change, you need to deliver it as a benefit to the ones who are going to have to do the changing, not the benefit to you.
> When you give an order, people will follow but absolve themselves from responsibility for the outcome.
> American service can be as bad as UK service, they just wish you a “nice day” after.
> I’d like to work for Rose Hudson, the CEO of Louisiana State Lottery.
> The worst and most dangerous type of prejudice is delivered by people who would not consider themselves prejudiced.
> You don’t go to work, work comes to you.
> Robin Schooling is quite brilliant at getting everyone together. We all went to New Orleans because Robin asked. That’s the power of personal connections.
> Everyone in Louisiana talks about their life in 2 parts. Before the storm and after the storm.
> User adoption is more important than technical capability in HR Tech.
> Most people operate their current technology at 20%.
> New Orleans has gone through the rebuilding period and is now in the renaissance period. Town branding is important for its citizens.
> Jazz is quite cool but Blues is better.
> Big Al Carson should be a worldwide star.
That’s what I remembered from #LASHRM, and it’s a big list. I remembered a whole lot of new people. Thanks to you all, it was a lot of fun.
And the last bit, my score for if I would go back, it’s 11 out of 10! Brilliant conference. Brilliant time, and I’m already plotting #truNewOrleans for later in the year.