Each year, during the SHRM Annual Conference, the SHRM Student Conference is also held. While we’re here in Atlanta enjoying the heat and humidity, the students are also meeting today and tomorrow (June 23rd and June 24th).
During the conference, the recipients of SHRM’s Outstanding Student Chapter Awards are announced. The Outstanding Student Chapter Award is given in recognition of significant activities within the following areas: compliance with SHRM bylaws, fundraising efforts, educational events, volunteerism, professional development, internships, mentorships, newsletters and external communications, social media programs, legislative advocacy, support of the SHRM foundation and participation in seminars or conferences.
I’m a big fan of the work of the SHRM student chapters and each year usually make a trip (or two!) to local student chapter meetings. Apparently they haven’t gotten sick of me yet because they keep inviting me back. Then again, it might be because sometimes I swear when I’m either (1) sharing an HR horror story or (2) getting all riled up about the good/bad/ugly/exciting aspects of our chosen profession.
So let’s send a hearty congrats to the 2011-12 Outstanding Student Chapter Award Recipients:
- Eastern Michigan University, #5041, Ypsilanti, MI
- Louisiana State University of Shreveport, #5335, Shreveport, LA
- McNeese State University, #5393, Lake Charles, LA
- Meredith College, #5177, Raleigh, NC
- Nicholls State University, #5431, Thibodaux, LA
- Rutgers University, #5154, Newark, NJ
- University of Guam, #5356, Mangilao, GU
- University of North Texas, #5017, Denton, TX
- University of Puerto Rico, Mayaguez, #5333, Mayaguez, PR
- University of Tennessee, #5254, Knoxville, TN
And of course I have to add that I’m super proud, as a Louisiana HR pro, of the fantastic showing by the three SHRM Student Chapters from the State of Louisiana who’ve been selected as Outstanding Student Chapters for the 2011-12 award year: Louisiana State University of Shreveport, McNeese State University, and Nicholls State University. As an added benefit, another Louisiana SHRM Student Chapter was recognized as a Runner-Up for the award – Southeastern Louisiana University.
There is awesome work being done by SHRM student chapter members and their extremely dedicated chapter advisors. Thanks to all of them for focusing on HR of the future.